Saturday, June 7, 2008

Professional camelback riding it is then. It'd be nice for someone else to run, for a change.

Today we got Hajis. The businessman tried to win us with his charm, not realizing that when he got to the point where he told us that he loved us like his children, we were a bit skeptical. Naturally he should love us MORE than his children. Kidding. One girl had a lot of pain, but the rest seemed pretty okay.

We had church services on the rooftop of the armenian seminary this morning. Talk about blinding light. We all looked like we were at a chinese service for a day I guess. We then met with the patriarch who is in incredibly good shape considering he's ninety, got a more formal tour of the Armenian seminary/quarter, and ate lunch at an Armenian restaurant, where we had a rousing discussion about the detroit boys vs. girls, the armenian guys' double standards, and the two types of Armenian cliques. Interesting indeed. Oh, and the seminarians told the two sisters on the trip the story about how their dad peaced out of seminary here two weeks before being ordained. Funny stuff. Also, many of the priests here have Harry Potter glasses. I can appreciate that.

After lunch were the hajis, then going back to the Holy Sepulchre for a cool service. All the armenians got candles and followed the clergy around from spot to spot in the order that Christ was there singing. Except some of those grandmas I would not like to be put in a boxing ring with. They were determined, to put it delicately. Or CrazyBustlingShovers, to put it honestly :) Now we're back at the hotel (it's ten o'clock) to get ready for our night in the Holy Sepulchre.

To end, my mom absolutely has the funniest quotes when taken out of context. I've laughed about it many times to myself, and sometimes with friends, but I submit for your examination the latest advice from an email: "Drug yourself up and rest." I love you Mom!! :D

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like fun!! Did you know that you could ride camels at The Bronx Zoo? Maybe they will let you practice there for the Jerusalem Derby.

Love Auntie Diane

ccariello said...

Hi Joyce,

Love reading your blog. Your writing is excellent.

Just returned from another trip to Budapest.

Napping now and watching the Prefontaine Classic on NBC.

Take care.

LOL,

Auntie Carol

Holly said...

Funny girl...I love reading your mail. Glad I made you laugh! I thought it was funny when I read your version!

Holly said...

Check your e-mail

Mom

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive