This weekend ROCKED in my book. It's hard to believe that I didn't know these people only 48 hours ago. Saturday we met at 6:45 to leave for Stirling at 7. It's only an hour away. First games were at 9 and 10 (we had two teams entered). My team, dionysis, played three games on Saturday and three games on sunday. So, we won our first two matches (in pouring rain, I might add), and drew the third because the conditions just got too awful (we were winning though, and because we beat teams they had lost to, we essentially were placed as a win) on Saturday. Today we won, lost, won. We lost against our big rivals, Edinburgh, which was sad, but we beat a team that had NO girls and no freshers on it in the third game as well (we were three girls strong) so it was all good. Also, the best part, all of us on both teams made at least one goal.
We ate after our games around 4 Saturday, then headed to a Stirling students flat, who is a close friend with one of our guys. That in itself was an adventure, since we were housed with France. Each team was assigned a country by Stirling, and they took theirs to heart. We hung out until nine, when we took cabs to the student union for hanging out with other teams and a party. Great tunes were played, and if not great frisbee players, we definitely have great dancers. Sleep around two. We woke up and got ready around 8:45, played our next three games, and ended up I think second or third of sixteen teams.
Lawrence asked me when we finished what the highlight was of the day. I said without a moments hesitation "the drills." Last wednesday, I had never done any, and they didn't come easily. I've improved loads since then. There's a lot of work to be done though. A good part was the other captain saying that Annalisa and I made our opponents run so much that they actually asked to cover the boys, and that's pretty cool.
OH MAN. I almost forgot to tell my favorite part. The sportsmanship here is EXCEPTIONAL. After each game, both teams gather in a circle and the captains give a short run-down of the game, points done well etc. After that, a team will lead another in a short, fun game like human battleship or hackeysack. It ends with the typical high fives. So all in all, very cool.
To change the topic...
My roommate is currently reading a book called Songs of the Humpback Whale for fun. How funny is that? Also, she was originally named Daisy instead of Helen, but her parents changed it four months in because she cried too much, and you have to be a certain kind of person to fit daisy. She's okay with that though, because Daisy reminds her of a cow name. Although her mom was named Sheila after her parents very loyal cow who passed away before her moms birth, Helen doesn't fancy the idea.
1 comment:
Joyce,
Can you have anymore fun???
I love you kiddo.
Auntie Diane
Post a Comment