In thinking about my last paper for Revolution and Romanticism, I was just thinking about how unique of an experience this class is. In many ways...
-How narrow of a focus it is. We've looked at literature/political pamphlets from 1790 to 1805. Generally, english classes cover a century. This instead has increased the depth of our knowledge of a specific literary period.
-The style in which it is taught. Intro classes are not taught here by one professor; rather, five or six professors will teach a few classes each in their area of knowledge. This class has a similar tag-team approach. Our professors are absolute experts in the fields that they teach. One professors focus has been on Cowper, Colderidge, and Blake, so she teaches those classes. Another teaches the others.
-The essays are completely overwhelming to begin to think about. Mainly, because they are so specific on seemingly obscure topics. It is simply impossible to write one without extensive outside reading by scholars with equally specific theses. Yet, it never fails that after beginning to read, I actually end up ENJOYING the process of piecing things together. I do think it does not foster as much revolutionary thought (no pun inteneded) on the part of the student, but I'm so glad I've been exposed to this as well, because it's also a gratifying process, and I'm sure has been invaluable exposure. Both my research skills and writing skills have developed as a result.
-The limited teacher/student interaction definitely differs. At the same time, they don't treat us like 'emerging adults' but adults. This means absolutely no extensions, and absolutely no exceptions. At the same time, being treated as an adult forces one to think as an adult, to take responsibility, etc.
-Self-motivated learning. At the beginning of the semester, it's very easy to really not need to do ANYTHING but read assigned texts. At the same time, that will make the end of the semester finals very HARD. Luckily I don't have to take those (which is why I'm doing this essay), but one has to really stay on top of reading and exploring with outside research as well. The class just scratches the surface.
-More 'cultured' reading. I've definitely been exposed to many classic, pivotal works, whether it be Burke or Paine or Wollstonecraft.
-A historical approach to literature. It's cool, putting it into context.
-The VERY formal tone of papers that the teachers prefer. It's forced me to (somewhat reluctantly) use bigger words. You know. Like Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
So, while the reading sometimes can bore, it's also been a good experience. And it has given me confidence. When you say you go to uni at St. Andrews here, people say 'oh, you must be really smart.' It's right up there with Oxford, Cambridge, and York. So far, I've felt adequently prepared for it. That makes me feel adequetly prepared for whatever is to come down the line. I'm so thankful for this academically, culturally, and socially enriching experience!
Mostly this weekend I'm working on the boat load of work that I have to do by friday. Then of course I'll start working on the boat load for the following (and final!) week. I'm determined to enjoy my time when I'm in Spain, so I'm doing as much of it now as possible. Helen's such a motivating roommate. She's always on top of her studies :P
2 comments:
wow, have you done some amazing things. I wish i was a bug on the wall...to have witnessed this.
mom
It'd be pretty boring actually. It goes something like this.
Work.
Drink tea.
Random Hellen moment.
Repeat.
I can show you when I get home :)
Post a Comment