Monday, June 8, 2009

Blog revived.
Might as well use it and remember all those good camp memories, like cake fights and dunk tanks and that epic moment when (just as a camp legend should) Big Will thrashed and got himself off the hook.
In case you don't remember, Big Will is a fish, not a person. We do try to keep metal objects away from our kids.

I'm a week and a half away, and really getting antsy. Last year I went to Philly, Sports Weekend, and then Jerusalem (and Scotland after HH). This year I haven't really been anywhere, so this last week seems interminable. Especially when I know that program staff is already there doing camp inspiration (eight kids on vents come for a week of camp with a parent/guardian).

In other news, the other day I was thinking "I don't do it because they're kids with cancer. I do it because they're still just kids." Cancer was just an example illness, but you can subsitute hemophelia or sickle cell disease or HIV etc.

Really, these kids are the kids who need to have fun the most, experience independence for a week the most, grow in confidence and a can-do attitude the most, and laugh the most. Although people in the outside world might see and treat them differently, here they're just kids. Their illnesses are so secondary. I'm happy to use whatever talents I might have with these kids, and contribute to giving them a normal childhood experience: camp.

Health and Happiness!
Joyce

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive