I think from time to time, I'll post "a few simple tips" from a current OT student. There are loads of things that I find really interesting and applicable to daily life...so here goes.
1) Raise your headrest so that it's as high as your head! This prevents hyperextension (basically, your neck snapping very far back) in the case of an accident.
2) When packing your backpack, put heavier books/items toward the back. This is closer to your center of gravity, so it puts less strain on your back than if you packed them really far out (you'd need to bend forward to get your center of gravity over your base of support, aka feet:)
3) Computer workstation practices. There are a whole host of things that you can do, but the simple ones are these...raise your chair so that your wrists aren't bent back while typing. Put down the plastic clips on the back of the keyboard so that it's as flat as possible. That wrist angle can compress the carpal tunnel.
Use a chair with arm rests if you have it to support the weight of your arms. Raise the computer so it's roughly eye level or a bit below. These all are good practices to prevent carpal tunnel (something very common in my generation already).
Ohhhhhkay! I'm off to bed!
No comments:
Post a Comment