Thursday, July 28, 2011

This has been one of the best and busiest summers ever. There are so many people that I love to pack in quality time with, and I also love (need) a few days with absolutely nothing on the calendar. It's those days that I get to do the things that really take a hit when school comes around.

For example, it was nice to have two days to sew a dress. I've wanted to learn sewing for awhile, and now I know! I'll be able to make some homemade gifts, shorten my own pants, and make some more "custom" dresses :). Dad is taking mom and me (and my new dress) out for dinner on Saturday so that it can make its debut. Lest one thinks that I'm becoming too domestic this break, another goal on my list is to learn how to change a car tire :D

Reading will always be a favorite pastime. I actually have time to look the words that I don't know up in the dictionary. What a luxury!

Gatherings with friends have included seeing Harry Potter, doing nails and hanging out, making muffins, and going to the diner. It was nice to catch up with an old running buddy, and frisbee with the old track folks starts this Saturday for the duration of the summer. Hopefully I'll get to that a time or two.

I also spent a weekend in NJ with my little cousins, aunts and uncle, and grandparents, and have enjoyed running errands with mom. Running for real has also been a joy.

This Sunday I leave to counsel another session of St. Nersess. I think that both the kids and staff are going to be great! Its one of my favorite parts of the summer. It's also probably the last year that I'll be able to counsel. The next two summers I have my OT fieldwork. The last of my middle school babies (girls I had in the Jr. High sessions when I counseled during high school) are graduating this year, anyways.

The best part about this summer has been balance. I'm a huge fan of balance. Creative impulses must be tempered by steadiness of character. Time spent doing things should be balanced with time spent appreciating the ability to do and participate in those things. Leisure and learning are both cherished more when accompanied by the other. It's nice to feel the pendulum swing back towards the middle.

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive