Friday, August 12, 2011

My new dress


I've always wanted a dress in the sort of fabric below. The catch, however, has always been that these dresses are mostly made for girls with lithe bodies aka they never fit. The dress above that Michelle Obama wore at the DNC made me realize that the problem wasn't really the type of fabric (which I would have never thought someone with a less athletic build could pull off). The problem was the amount of fabric. Now, there are limits to this. Sheathy fabric will probably never look good on me. But, I am delighted to report, that this type does! 

Dad, Mom and I went out for dinner to give me an occasion to wear the dress. It took two days to complete. Part of that was spent figuring out the sewing machine (ie how to thread a bobbin:). I hadn't used once since 7th grade home ec, but with most things, I learn best by immersion. It was fun! Mom got artsy with the camera.

Dad actually helped me pin the sides for me to sew, since Mom was in WI. He later said that he almost pinned it as a sack dress, but resisted that impulse. It's funny that he sticks needles in people all the time though, and he was so hesitant and a bit overwhelmed by sticking pins into fabric. Dad the seamstress!


Mom also helped when she returned! She pinned the back, so that I could mark where to sew the zipper.

Here I am at church with St. Nersess wearing my new dress! The pattern cost $1, and the fabric cost $8!

I don't think that I'll be sewing all my own clothes anytime soon, but it will be fun to make the occasional skirt or dress!

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive