I THINK THEY CAN!
I've been an overflowing fountain of enthusiasm for all things Cardinal related the last few days. September has been a great month. July and August were horrible months for them. But, with an almost full roster (that includes all the big dogs aka Pujols and Berkman, but is also deep with Theriot, Molina, Freese, Jay, Schumaker--sorry Matt Holliday), they've won 14 of their 19 games this month! Including 3 of 4 against the Phillies, 3 of 3 against the Braves, and 2 of 3 against the Brewers!!!
Ahhh. So I went to the game tonight after class and did so much reading there (when the mets were hitting) and just generally had a grand time with 40,000 and some odd other people watching as, yet again, the Cards came from behind.
We are now just ONE AND A HALF games behind the national league wild card...the Atlanta Braves. VERSUS 8.5 when we started September. The Braves now have a couple of guys on the DL, and they still have 3 games against the Phillies ahead of them, and I think the Nationals, too. Not roll over teams. We have the Astros and the Cubs, both who are well-matched to easier. The Cubs will be more difficult, though.
But no one is saying it would be easy. Every game is a fight for the Cardinal's post-season lives. The Cards don't have the pitching depth that that would be helpful when playing every series like the World Series for a month and a half. It's possible, though.
I love the Cardinals. I love that you have slumping guys like Berkman who the team takes a risk on and shapes. And has it pay off big. I love the accessibility of the games. While tickets to any good series are more pricey, it's nice that families can just buy $5 tickets to games like tonight and bring all the kids. Weekend tickets start at 10-15 (UNLESS we play the cubs), and really, the seats are just fine. The players all also seem laid back and good-natured (St. Louis isn't snooty--and a few of my friends ran into a player at a BBQ place once). And like a Team. That was what I used to like about the Yankees. Plus, I'm always a sucker for the underdog in sports.
It's so neat to be in the CITY where a team plays. While usually there's next year, this might be the last year that the Cardinals can hang onto Pujols and Berkman; neither are signed for next year. I just want them to get to the playoffs. That would be so cool.
Alright, so I've really gotten into baseball this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment