I wrote this bit last week, but didn't finish the entry...
I posted this link on facebook, but this is part of why I'm such a fan of the tweet tweets.
They're good athletes, but way more importantly, good sportsmen. Good men. You see it the way that their arms linger on each other when they pat each other on the back, and in the banter when the jumbo trons zoom in on the dugout. They pick guys up and train them to become great players. They have events like this http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/ticketing/group_theme.jsp?loc=christianday. They have team Bible studies led by the players. It's so nice to have a team whose philosophy and example I can agree with. I'd given up rooting for the Yankees long ago because of that.
And today...
Partially because I have NOT SLEPT THE PAST WEEK because I've had a ton of homework, and watching the cards on gameday DOES NOT HELP, I went to bed at 7pm last night. So I'm only now finding out the result. Thanks to a cards win and a braves loss, I bring you http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=19789283&tcid=fb_STL_19789283&c_id=stl&v=5. This short one shows the moment that they got the spot http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=19789283&tcid=fb_STL_19789283&c_id=stl&v=5
Somehow I'm not very productive when the cardinals are tied, and the opponent has 3 men on base and only 1 out. We've pulled through ALL those times though! And, thanks to a BRAVES LOSS last night, we don't even need to play a tiebreaker. The guys haven't had a day without play in two weeks (and by play, I mean every game counts/SoMuchPressure play) so they can finally catch a bit of a break, and shift focus solely to the playoffs.
This page has never looked so beautiful...Post-season standings
Phillies Media:
"Of all their possible NLDS matchups, this could be least favorable to the Phillies. By personally eliminating the Braves, they arranged a date with the only team against which they had noteworthy losing record (3-6)."
You'll see that Tampa Bay has a similar story to share. Anyhow, SEE YOU AT THE PLAYOFFS, CARDINALS! Game 1 is on Tuesday, and I'll BE THERE! My 5th game of the season! This has been such a crazy and stressful baseball month that I've pretty much had to come out as a closet baseball fan.
P.S. As I've said since I got here last September, I always kind of knew that Yankees weren't my team, and wherever I ended up for grad school would most likely be my 'for life' team. So, even if they lose horrifically next year and the year after etc., I'll still be a CARDS fan.
No comments:
Post a Comment