Sunday, December 11, 2011

STL and Albert

I love St. Louis. It's a little city, but it's a stop on so many artists' tours. There's a great music scene. We have baseball, hokey, and football. A lot of kids play sports. It's downtrodden...but that's good, in a way, because people are connected with the earth when they're downtrodden. You can't escape it. So they're down to earth. There's very little pretentiousness. On the whole, the majority of people in St. Louis are social activists. I've met more people that have adopted kids here than in any other place that I've ever been.

It's creative. The city museum is one such example. Ninety percent of stuff is free. All the time. The zoo? Free. They don't nickle and dime you, either. The food is very reasonable, the merry go round is $1, and a movie is $3. That's it. The History Museum? Free. Planetarium? Free. Concerts on the green? Free. Musicals in the summer? FREE. It's that social activist thing, I think. Because so many people understand that there are many who can't afford to go to "culture" or education-enhancing experiences, we have many generous benefactors, because they're in the community.

Another thing that I've sort of started to pick up here is country music. We have this "new country" country music station. I like it. Pretty much, I can now say that I like every kind of music but metal (semi-melodic screaming?). And old country. That's still a little lame in my book. 

It's a bit funny when it comes to baseball. We have this dominant, awesome team, that in some ways, is considered the "Darth Vader of the national league central." We've won 11 W.S. Personally, I would love to see Detroit or Texas win sometime in the future. But this year, with this team, that was not palatable to me. And even though we're an 'old school' ball club that's won with lots of "baseball tradition," this city still needs that.



People need something to cheer about, that brings this city together.

Emotional highs and lows have defined the season, with promise, injury, rallying, looking like it'd be tough, and getting through and winning the WS. It's now continuing into the post-season, too, with LaRussa and Pujols leaving. It is so sad, because his history (draft pick, through the farm system, to superstardom) and his status in the community. He could have been like Musial, who at 91 is still integrated in the clubhouse and community, and is a beloved resident of STL. I don't know that Pujols gets what living in LA will be like (kind of like me living at Skidmore, I imagine, although his status will give him and his kids an 'in') but I wish him much THE best, and certainly much better than Skidmore.

I'm proud that he was gracious to us in his press conference, as were the speakers and news reporters. There were a lot of questions on why he'd want to leave such a great city to play in. Albert actually gave us more props time than he gave LA. I was glad that he didn't devalue his past praise by just playing the "thank you fans!" card to get the LA crowd pumped up. Class. I also always loved Dee Dee.

It was funny, too. I cry very, very infrequently. I mean, I just finished one of the most brutal semesters of my life, and people in the masters program have said "I don't know how you guys do it. I'd have had a breakdown" I haven't had a real bad day or anything. hahaha. Until I burst into tears about 30 seconds into the press conference and sat on my bed watching, simultaneously crying, and chowing down on chocolate covered raisins. Haha. Amusing, but they were real! 
Last Prince Albert link
His rationale.

Now it's time to move on. 

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive