There's humanity in St. Louis. And respect. Respect is there. And combine that with people who have done truly amazing things, families who have given all, families that have stood strong and deserved to be recognized, it can and will happen here. Just give it 30 days.
I know that there's some talk about waiting until all the veterans come home in certain cities in order to throw a parade, but I think that it was really good for us to all see, and not wait. Yes, some may be redeployed to Afghanistan, but they're home now, and they'll be home for awhile. We can celebrate that. And if they go to Afghanistan, they go having seen and heard today. And it stirred a desire in us to get involved. It was for us good to see that their are people in our community that we can support.
It was good to bring publicity to the issues and organizations in our community. I also think that it was good for the veterans and their families, many of whom have been home for some time, and some who just returned from Iraq. It was good for them to know how thankful we are, and how we're going to come together as a community to help ease the transition.
Another one of the cool things in that regard was having Veterans Village with all the resources that a veteran might want in one spot. The parade was put on by two men and the cooperation of The Mission Continues. One of our OT groups this semester is working with them. I actually took a field trip there last semester, and it's AMAZING. The slogan is "it's a challenge, not a charity" with the premise being that Veterans come back with enormous leadership qualities and potential and a desire to serve, The mission continues wants to show the community that, as well as provide veterans with opportunities to grow and figure out a future path. They serve is in an area that they are interested in (Habitat, running Soup Kitchens, working with youth) and they also go through job/school etc planning over the few months that they're in the program. So that's good.
The parade started with the hardest, but a moving, part: Gold star families. Kids walked and waved. Spouses and parents carried pictures of their loved ones. They held them out. They wanted us to see it. They wanted their loved one to be remembered, and I can tell you that I don't think that I'll ever forget that. It was a somber applause, with shouts of "thank you" and "we'll remember." I think people on both sides of the barriers were moved to tears.
Floats came by, mostly with veterans, sometimes with the sponsors or Mayor etc. Clapping, cheering, and thank you's were reserved for the veterans and their families. I was proud of everyone for being so vocal, and for clapping the whole hour and 20 minutes. There were motorcycles, bands, twirlers, moolah cars (hadn't seen one before), and fire trucks. There were veterans from every war since WWII. The Marines worked the crowd. Most in the parade had video cameras out. Tons of adults and children held handmade signs saying "Welcome home" and "home of the free because YOU were brave."
I think it just brought it home to us. I've looked up opportunities to get involved on joining forces before, but besides girl scouts and mental health, there just hasn't been much in the St. Louis area (we always do care packages and thank you notes here). Today I checked it out again, and found a place called Fisher House that we can bring meals to, and babysit kids of those receiving treatments. I have a feeling that this is going to be great for military services in the St. Louis area.
The Christian radio station that I often listen to asked yesterday "why is today a good day?" One woman who called in said that it was a good day because her husband had served in Iraq, and he went through so much, as did her kids. She's so thankful for the opportunity for her kids to see how much their dad is appreciated tomorrow, and for him to see, too.
We have a lot of heroes in our nation, folks. And sometimes in our very cities.
P.S. This is the FIRST major parade in the U.S.
http://www.kmov.com/video?id=138264194&sec=549502
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/01/27/soldiers-honored-in-st-louis/
No comments:
Post a Comment