Thursday, July 19, 2012

If we go around acting like we're all put together and we're not, we are living a lie.
If we walk around being who we are and being honest with others, we give permission to others to be themselves.
If we are speaking while being present and authentic, we are telling a truth, which others likely can relate to.
If we speak words of pain, we give others permission to feel pain, to speak words of pain without fear when the alligator-squeeze on their heart is just too great, too.
If we are ourselves with others, we begin to form a bond that transcends convenience, we realize our strengths are enough, our flaws that exist and need tending to, and the character of those around us.
We also see those who are faking it, who are charmingly insincere, and solely self-seeking.

I believe all these things.
Sometimes I hate believing these things, because honesty is sometimes hard.
Sometimes being accepted for You means that you are also rejected for You.
Sometimes realizing the character of others means you're not left with many options (a la Skidmore)
Sometimes listening means adopting pain.

But I believe it's worth it.
Sometimes you don't see it for awhile,
But eventually I always have.

Always.
I think kids see through inauthenticity so easily.
That's why I love them
That's why we get along
They want to believe that who they are is enough,
And when they look at someone being authentic and realize that it is a good thing, it's a better thing, "to be who you are" I think they get the confidence to be caring, compassionate, present, and authentic, too.
They become lights, too.
They seek to become the best version of themselves. 
They do the things mentioned in the first paragraph of this entry.


Kids see through cliches, quick words, selfishly-motivated gestures, and those who diminish their pain.
I'm scared that I might forget that someday...
the pain children deal with...
It's hundreds of lonely lunches, parents fighting, battling injustice, feeling left out, feeling replaced, being bullied, feeling powerless, being belittled, and life events on top of that.
I am near these things, but growing farther from that emotion and place each day.
I am becoming An Adult.

Childhood is painful. Teenager years are painful. Early adulthood is painful.
They are also wonderful, but there are always hard parts, too.
Sometimes you just end up stumbling through it, clinging to sinew with the strength in your teeth and hoping that it will be just enough to hold on until the other side.

Everyone has more trials than one can perceive from the outside.

The question is not whether we have pain. The question is what we decide to do with it.

Do we help others with it? Do we use feeling caged at some point to help other feel free? Do we fight injustice?
I want to continue to seek the things I know to be true and right, and best,
Despite pain. Always.
I want to do that with children, with adults, with the elderly, with patients, with friends, with family.
And I want to continue to do fill God's role for me in this world.
I know that I can only do that by being Me
and seeking Him. 
He'll be there when it's painful, and brave the hurricaine
And continue to compel me to use the joy to create joy, and use the pain to create joy, too. 

One of my favorite Bible passage states "In the world, you will have tribulation; but take heart, for I have overcome the world."



Going to join two wonderful, authentic friends in Chicago for the weekend!! So blessed to have Stephanie and Rheanna!! And so fortunate and proud that they demonstrate everything in this entry so well.

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive