Saturday, September 29, 2012

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Today was so fun!!

I've been lamenting for awhile the decline of my athletic career.
Not in a "live in the past" way.
Just in an "I want to play sports" way.

In BigCity, I don't enjoy running. I haven't from day 1.

It never fails in TheCountry or even the burbs, where the hardest part is pushing myself out the door, but it's the earthy experience after that. I want to go as far as I can to see as much as I can and be a part of nature.

I just cannot. do. that. here.
I push myself out the door, through a warm-up, through stretching, and through about 10 minutes, when I just decide that I really don't like running anymore.
I walk.
That's been the trend the last week. 

This has led me to ask if I'm mentally tough anymore.
"mind over matter"
A hard worker.
But I think my mind just comes back to the fact that I don't like city running.
It doesn't give me that exhilarating feeling.

And I do work intensely hard in other areas of my life.

But I still don't want to be a lazy bum.
Tentatively, I signed up for the fall frisbee league in STL basically having done 2 months in Scotland (school didn't start till October, and we were done by early December.

Last week was good, but today was a mental obstacle beyond all others.
It was not only still proving that I'm a reliable teammate to new people.
It was the fact that we had a doubleheader (=2 games, separated by 15 minutes, each just under 2 hours)
AND NO FEMALE SUBS (and only one guy).

The other female is a great thrower. She's a 52 year old frisbee coach.
Thus, she was great to be the other person, but covering "the fast girls" was up to me.


I SURVIVED. I pushed it. I didn't give up. I ran all over that field.
For 3 hours and 45 minutes of play with very few breaks. At a few points, I didn't think that I could keep running, but there was no choice or we forfeited the game.

ON THE PLUS SIDE, I also saw lots of action. I didn't drop a disc until the last half of the second game, and I probably scored 4-5 points. Plus just getting and passing it.

It was FUN. My teammates are FUN. The opponents are FUN.
IT WAS FUN TO MOVE.
It was fun to be intense and take people by surprise.
We won both games.

I told the other female after the game that I was proud of us. I am!
I will be glad when we have our other 3 ladies back in town, though.

Hooray!! I have a lot of work to do with throwing and some with reading the disc from long throws (this happened twice a the end), but overall, it was the kind of day that makes me want to put in the work.

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive