Saturday, February 23, 2013

The tides are a-changing

If I were to coin this week, it would be "lucky week."

1) I was cool and collected and not sweating through 6 layers at job fair. Passed out the good ole resumes, and got a lot of helpful information.

2) Both my Ready Readers classes were engaged and fabulous with a bunch of BigPeople in the room. I was worried they'd get shy. And Ready Readers wants to videotape me reading.

3) Friday I found out that I won a $25 dinner gift certificate from Job Fair.

4) Recruited my 4th participant.

5) No one cried who I tested for their practical skills assessment (vs. a few others). Even though one seriously bombed it.

6) Friday I got a text from a kid about not replying to my calls because he has a lot of fears about getting his GED. We're just going to meet and talk, no persuasion, next week, and see if the fears are valid or counter-productive after his appt. I had given up all hope. Even if that's all that happens, I would be proud that my project (and me becoming 'the GED person' led to that)

7) The sickle cell lab went to a quarter auction last night. I had never been to one. SO fun. Anyhow, I had no idea what I was doing when I got there. The second item, I threw 3 quarters in the bucket because it seemed like most people were, and not even 2 seconds later my paddle number was called. It turns out I got the most expensive item ($70) for $.75. Hilarious.

8) This morning I got an email from Dr. King. WE HAVE A TAKER for the GIS component of my project (mapping program) from the school of social work. Another thing that I had given up on, because the email went out 2-3 weeks ago. The maps we made last year wouldn't open, and the girl who was supposed to do things moved to Florida for grad school.

Tonight I'm going out with my church/social work friends for a birthday party. And tomorrow, it's back to work.

The tides roll in and out. That's one thing this year has taught me. I'm not as surprised by set-backs, but I do still try to ride some of the highs.

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive