Monday, March 11, 2013

I forgot how good it feels to attack

I forgot how good it feels to attack
a physical challenge

Limbs moving through space.

I forgot how it feels to tweak and practice and see results
And fly
And let the fearless hill-bombing, mogul-mastering child-Joyce out.

Dad and I went skiing tonight.
And it all flooded back.

Slicing snow into slices of bread to the beat of an internal rhythmic metronome
"Getting air" over jumps,
Bulleting down the hills,
Doing my "'with love from russia' ski" and doing my air-ski.
And getting a little bit farther in the mogul trail each run without messing up or resting.
I love finding trends in how I do things and making adjustments.

I love finding activities that make my "built" legs a useful powerhouse instead of a hindrance.
I had so much fun.

It is just a good reminder that there are so many great activities to do
And that I truly do love sports.
Gym class used to remind me of that 2x/week in grade school, but the chance to participate in all sorts of sports kind of vanishes with graduation. Either you've got to be good, or focus on one.
(Perhaps that's why it's always been in the back of my mind to start a gym class for adult women. I want to just get up and play a lot of sports in a less-competitive environment, and I think a lot of women would, too. Particularly moms).


And finally, today I heard on the radio that Tom Petty is coming to our city! I love oldies! I used to listen to them all the time. Eventually, well, I realized that they don't change, and had to move onto new material. So, in his honor, here is one of my favorite TP songs.



P.S. I sang "Don't Stop Believing" to Aileen, and she stopped crying. I can't wait to teach her all about Billy Joel, Elton John, Tom Petty, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and the likes :)

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive