Saturday, March 2, 2013

What I hold on to is who I am

What I hold onto is who I am
I am what I hold onto
I become what I hold onto

If I hold onto a grudge, I become the grudge, and I become begrudging.
If I hold onto the anger, I become angry.
If I hold onto the exclusion, I become bitter.

If I hold onto the changes in others, I become appreciative of who they've become.
If I hold onto the love in others, I become love.


In some ways, it can be easy to hold onto a "story/history" under the delusion that holding onto the negative experiences can make me stronger or better or more myself.

But, while the experiences may do that,
The grudges do not.

In some ways, holding onto a grudge is a lack of trust in oneself,
That we have the power to want to do good without thinking about the bad.

I should want to be inclusive because I want others to feel included, just as I HAVE been so many times.
I should want to be at peace, because I need peace to help myself and others.
I should hold onto love, because love is the thread that connects us all.

I want to accept that people change for the better, just as I have changed for the better, and that has to happen in its own time.

Now, I don't have nutso grudges. But, when this person from middle school who made life miserable facebook friended me, I realized that I was holding onto that history

I'm not saying that I should or shouldn't friend her,
but I shouldn't resent her.

Becoming my grudge serves neither her or me. Go forward with wisdom.
Go forward with boundaries.
Go forward with love.

Becoming that, trusting myself, letting go of the bad
is what I want.

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive