Part of me, however, feels a need to be a witness to the hard times. Other people have to go THROUGH it. It's their reality. I don't like to just go about things pretending that it doesn't exist.
And I felt this week. The joys, like reading to my kids, and delivering my presentation to my classmates and peers. And so many pains: the pain of reading the beautiful stories, like a man from Alaska giving his medal away after working for years to get it. Or those who ran in to help. The pain of those who have multiple family members in critical condition. The MIT cop's life. Knowing a long road is ahead from amputees, and some will likely suffer from phantom pain forever. The devastation of losing so many people in your community that you know and love (West, Texas). The bombings in Iraq. The earthquake in Iran. Knowing that so many countries have events like the boston marathon EVERY DAY.
It's been a heck of a week.
Add that to the empty feeling of having your last class. The love for your lab mates. Making two new friends. Having things to do. The beauty of seeing 110 caring OT classmates present research on topics that they're passionate about.
Its been a roller coaster. It just seems to continue. I haven't broken down or anything, but I feel just a bit broken inside for all the broken people in this broken world. I hate when people have to face intense emotional pain from preventable causes.
But the price of free will is sometimes free will. I am free to choose my path, and others are free to choose theirs.
No comments:
Post a Comment