"Don't wish away this phase of life hoping for the next"
I keep trying to do that. It can be hard.
It's tempting to wait for a happily ever after, that in reality, never comes. I will still be struggling to balance things when I graduate. I may have times when I have a lot of close friends, and I may not. Most likely, everything will not all be perfect at the same time, and if it is, it won't stay that way.
Except it is perfect, because it's how it's supposed to be. It's some sort of opportunity to grow.
One of Oprah's life class interviewees put it well: "It took me a long time to figure out that it's not my job to be perfect. It's my job to be whole."
I will never be perfect, but am I whole? If not, am I striving for wholeness?
Not busyness. Not perfection. Not a resume. Not a husband. Not a title. Not a career.
Wholeness.
Because when everything else goes
HealthDeathCareerTitle,
We are left with wholeness and emptiness.
I tried maximizing this time of life. It's coming to a close. I'm 2/3 done with my final paper. It should be done by 6am. I'm actually enjoying it a little, though I do want it to be over.
Next steps are always a bit daunting. There's a learning curve.
I want to maximize the time that graduation offers. I want to maximize that phase. I also want to be whole. They all can be at odds with each other, or they inform each other.
Its been real. I haven't been as whole as I would like. But I certainly have tried to make the days worth something. I've laughed through the work, tedium, monotony etc. It's good to take a look back and re-examine and re-center myself for the soon-to-start next leg of the journey.
Just need to hold on for one more day :)
No comments:
Post a Comment