Friday, May 23, 2014

So I didn't fully realize it until I unzipped emails in my inbox. 

I'm a slow learner.
Because the names of places I so desperately had wanted to see...three months ago...they were there apologizing for the "extended period of time" it took for HR to get them applications. 

I felt a twinge of frustration at late arrival. I would have LOVED to see them awhile ago. 
But now? When I had already put four weeks in at a job that I really enjoyed, and regardless, wouldn't quit after less than a couple years by choice?

But I stopped. And thought. Thought about the fact that I would have NEVER EVER applied to skilled nursing facilities without it. AND I LOVE IT. I love having some 15 minute treatments, and some 85 minute treatments daily. 

I love the old folks with dementia who wear three baseball caps, and haven't a hoot about what day it is but teach me how to milk a cow. 
I love being able to witness joy amidst pain as one woman in the process of dying from cancer hands her roommate her copy of the paper and a chocolate. Small acts of kindness like these are really ALL that breathe life into life. 
I love my patient's response to everyone who asked how he's doing: "SHE BEAT ME"...as I frantically try to coach him to say "IN CHECKERS! I beat you IN CHECKERS. You have to say that last part"
I love working with classy folks who do their work without complaint 
I love how my 15 minutes with Ms. Meadows* is the most fun part of my day. 
I love watching huge progress, and despite having had therapy before me, NOW they can get up independently for the first time

Things I never thought I'd see in a SNF (skilled nursing facility), I've seen (huge progress). Things I wanted to avoid, I've figured out how to embrace. 

And while I don't get to discover the same depth of hilarity/goofiness as I would working in a pediatric hospital, I've found there's a tenderness that reaches lower than I would have ever thought. Patience that I had no idea I had. And some good fun with some great patients. 

I love the commute 50 miles in the complete opposite direction of humanity. 
And the fact that pay is higher at SNF's than other settings?
It's not as hard on your body because you can co-treat?

I can't complain about those, either. 
So basically.

God? He knew what he was doing. Those callbacks are a nice affirmation of my qualifications. But I'm actually glad that I'm where I am. And I would have NEVER had that experience without being desperate enough to go to a health career job fair. And to consider SNFs. 

SO grateful!

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive