My best friend from OT, Rheanna, and I are planning a trip abroad in 2015. That fact did play into my decision to commute to my job from my parents' abode my first year. I'll save for my medical bills and deductibles, and also save for this trip.
I have no regrets about my study abroad experience. I wanted and needed immersion. After an awful social experience at Skidmore (minus being an RA), I chose my study abroad school on the criteria that I wished I had chosen my undergrad by, and it worked. I had a wonderful time with down-to-earth people. I got to know authentic Scotsmen and women. I worked towards my english minor.
Hogwarts isn't too far of a stretch from St. Andrews.
I also didn't travel much outside of Scotland. I saw the Scottish cities with the frisbee team. I went to Bath for a weekend (Jane Austen!!), and was in London for a day.
My parents were supposed to come at the end of the semester and tour England and France with me, but they changed their minds. So yeah, got my original ticket and headed home.
Well, enter Rheanna, who wants to go abroad and proposed a trip. She's the greatest, and I think we'll be really compatible travel buddies. She is a bit inexperienced in using public transportation/walking around cities alone, but otherwise very fun! She has 6 weeks off each summer due to her job, and I get 5 weeks off at my current job, so we'll take 2 weeks for a Eurotrip.
So far we are thinking England, Scotland, France, + Norway/Switzerland/Somewhere random.
I would like to see Normandy and WWII sites. That is #1 for me. History was always my second favorite class (after English), and I've been reading a lot about WWII lately (I even treated a really cool vet who stormed the beaches on Friday. He was a patient), so that would be cool.
After this trip, the only other foreign trip I see myself taking is possibly Armenia at some point. And/or possibly a honeymoon, but who knows because that's still expensive.
Other life-list trips are
-New Orleans
-Smokey Mountains or Rockies
-Mississippi (experience the deep south?)
-Arizona
-Montana
I will be content if I can't make any or all of these. But one of the upsides of not being a young bride with 5 kids paying rent is that these things are a possibility. I would rather have the former, but since clearly things aren't working out that way, I'm very content playing kickball and dodgeball and planning cool adventures! Woooo.
1 comment:
Joyce this is more than just a little bit exciting! Of course I would hate to intrude on your plans, but I'll be spending most of Summer 2015 in South East England and if you do want to go to France I would be SO delighted to see you again! I stay in the countryside really close to the trains or ferry port for you to pop over to Normandy, and you'd both be more than welcome to come and stay! Helen :) Xxx
Post a Comment