Not going to lie. Looking at our CAG (cabin at a glance with the medical breakdown), I was pretty freaked out. It's INTENSE this week. And don't even get me started on their nicknames. Yet, you completely forget it when you get in it with them. They're absolutely fantastic, dealing with some pretty intense crap, but so unbelievably sweet and incredibly caring. One of the kindest things I heard was when one camper with goldenhar syndrome was telling another camper why she looked the way she did, and it was just a casual conversation, at the end of which both went on and played a game together. They're open and loving and just want to have a good time and be seen for who they are, not how they appear.
It's not about putting in the minimal amount of effort to accommodate someone here. It's about putting in the most amount of effort to include them in every way shape or form.
We don't really buy fancy toys here. It's way more than that, and life is way more than that. It's all about the people...all about those impromptu games, stories, and creatively planned events. The time I saw this one girl laughing the MOST last week is probably the time I made her up a story (Meghina, who was ticklish in her right pinkie toe). All the counselors here are simply amazing, and all of us have these kind of moments with our kids. I am not being humble at all when I say that I am not better than any of them.
On that note, it's time for our fourth of july parade, so I'm out.
1 comment:
love ya lots.
Mom
Post a Comment