Monday, September 22, 2008

St. Andrews isn't like Hogwarts. Hogwarts is like St. Andrews! Rowling wrote all of the Harry Potter novels in Edinburgh, where we spent last week. The concept of houses is very similar to our "halls" here. We eat all our meals in our halls, hang out in the common room, and have inter-residence hall games, where we score points for our halls to win the coveted cup. Our social council planned a ton of freshers week activity, and also hall balls and the like. There are a LOT of reasons to dress up here. The first of three main balls is in October.

I thought I'd write about some differences between Scotland and the US.
-People in the UK don't put PJs under their pillows. They put them under their sheets.
-They don't sleep with a sheet under their "duvet" (not called comforter).
-A LOT more independent study. Some classes we'll only have one lecture per week, plus a smaller seminar or tutorial. Extensive reading from the reccommended reading list is necessary to pass the finals, generally taken in mid-january.
-Traditions. As the third oldest Uni in the UK, traditions are all around, from Ceilidhs (pronounced Kay-lee) at every major event (I went to a 3-hour class yesterday with some friends. It's so fun and intense here!) to the buildings that are twice as old as our country.
-The facilities are absolutely magnificent. The student union alone blows my mind. It costs NOTHING for Scottish students to come to uni. In England, it costs around 5 or 10 thousand pounds I think my roommate said. A LOT less expensive, and a lot more selective.
-Everyone, including the guys, are really good natured and jolly here. Stuff isn't over the top here (there are virtually no chains or huge department stores), but because no one has it, no one misses it. People have what they have, and they seem to be pretty happy with it.
-The drinking age is 18, and it seems to work with the culture. I have been through a few days of pre-or and a few days of regular freshers week, and I have seen nothing comprable to drunkeness the first week in the U.S. People aren't as stupid when they drink either. Drinking occurs more often a week here, but in lesser quantities.
-More hall socialization? That might just be compared to Skidmore, but the past few days, about twenty of us have sat in the c-floor hallway and just chatted for a while. People come from EVERYWHERE here.
-Meals are only served for a 30-minute period. There are two or three main dish options and a few sides. Also, no dinner on Saturday or Sundays.
-PEOPLE GET UP SO MUCH EARLIER HERE. Breakfast is at 8:45, and everyone's there. That's a change from the states. Sleeping in to nine or ten is considered "really late."

I already love St. Andrews, and that's such a nice change. I'm sure small issues will crop up. And I'm definitely glad I chose St Andrews over Oxford. People all had great things to say about here and generally not so great things to say about study abroad at Oxford. I love it!!

1 comment:

Holly said...

You have so much to look forward to in your life. Your journey begins with the first of many steps! HEHEHEHE(laughing)

Mom

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive