Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Well, I was kind of nervous. Kind of nervous because Social, Evolutionary, and Developmental Psychology I turned out to be just social psych this semester and Ev and Dev next semester. I had already done that, as well as Brain and Behavior I. After talking to my advisor, it was decided that I'd take two english classes this semester to work on my minor, and tackle psych heavy-duty next semester. All the courses I want to take are then anyways (Soc, Ev, and Dev II, Visual Perception, Behavioral Endocrinology). As at the end of sophomore year I was only two classes away from having a major complete, it shouldn't be a problem. So instead I signed up for 20th Century American Drama to stay on track with my minor. And you know, even for someone that likes reading, sixty credits of reading is a LOT. It's the equivalent of four english classes (at the same time) back in the states. So anyhow, back to being nervous.

I went for a playful romp in the library. Have I professed my undying love for libraries? It made me feel a whole lot better.

The library at St. Andrews can be described in a few words - bigger, better, and 70's-esque. Bigger, self-explanatory. Not only 10x more texts, but more advanced texts make this library something to behold. It does have a six centuries on most schools in the states. Seventies-esque...well, with yellow carpet, yellow light, and orange chairs, this library just screams funk.

So, after floating up to look for ONE book on Eugene O'Neill and get a headstart on reading, I ended up checking out NINE. One by Toni Morrison for some fun reading, and all the rest about 20th century drama. I've only read two chapters of one book, and I'm already learning soso much and can't wait to read more. Hopefully it won't be a problem to get into the class tomorrow, but even I don't, I learned some cool stuff. You might be getting a lesson in a bit.

It's funny how what I was most nervous about, extensive independent reading, I'm now psyched for. It's really incredibly awesome to be able to explore to a remarkably deep degree areas that you want to and read books you want to for two classes. There's about a play a week for my Drama class and about one novel a week and several shorter readings a week due for my Romanticism and Rev class, but we're supposed to be doing at least 40 hours of work, if not more. This means that when you get to the final, the professors expect that you have done extensive reading off of the recommended reading list and on your own. It's very self-motivated, and very simple. You simply won't pass otherwise. So anyhow, I'll be seeing lots of the library this semester, but I'm excited to do so.

AND (dun dun dun) I bought a locker for the year. It's such an innovative concept, and will definitely make life easier not having to transport my books to the library each day. There are about 220 lockers, and number 178 now belongs to yours truly for a mere 5 pounds. It will surely make a blog-picture debut soon. I think I'll call it Earnest.

Hahaha our dorm had to hand in our sheets to be washed today (great service, I know!). Helen just said "I think I accidentally put half of my polka-doted pyjamas in the wash." And the antics from C13 continue. It turns out Helen and I are strong. Really strong. So strong, in fact, that we can break metal in two! With a mighty heave, we got the window 'unstuck...' Turns out the reason it was stuck was because someone had locked it. Whoops?

Alright, so it's time for bed. Athletics was tons of fun yesterday, and I met a lot of really great people. Today I ran on my own, and the golf course is gearing up for CelebrityInvasion this weekend. Tomorrow is my first frisbee practice and seeing my english advisor. In other news, the christmas play for St. Andrews this year is Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Oh, how I love St. Andrews.

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive