Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Words that I'm going to have to wean myself off of when I get back to the states...

1) Cheers. It means 'thank you' here. It's something you say when someone holds the door open, when you get off a bus, etc. Almost no one says 'thank you.' It seems unique to Scotland, as I haven't heard a Brit say it yet. Nor have I heard of anyone saying it for a toast.
2) Biscuit. It means cookie. So biscuits for dessert, biscuit tin, etc have rubbed off on me, seeing as how Helen's loves 'biscuits' and usually has some new kind each week for her biscuit tin.
3) Hiya. That's a casual or vivacious form of 'hello.' It's so much better! If you ran into someone on the street, that is what you'd say. I like how it just rolls out so easily.
4) Queue. A line. So queuing up for dinner or to join the queue are common phrases for me now. Other stuff really won't be a problem to switch back to, such as chips, french fries, pants, etc. The above words I am quite fond of, however.

Helen finalized the train details today. She'll be going home Saturday morning. I certainly will be sad to see her go! In the meantime we continue to have great times and laughs together.

Only 10 days to go!

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive