Session one ended two days ago. After cabin clean-up, we have an all-staff meeting. Evan, who drove the kids the hour ride to Albany Airport, said that the first four exits were not pleasant. There were a lot of tears and a lot of wailing from the Ohio kids. Then, she said, the three deer started doing cheers, and everyone joined in and did that the rest of the way there. Bless them, those little ones. They are always a lot wiser than most people give them credit for. I love that our seven year olds started it. That's just the kind of kids we had this week.
I did have a low point this week, but when all's said and done, no harm was done, and my staff was insanely supportive. I'm determined to not let it deter me from working with the kids who have behavior issues. I'm just going to learn from it.
I think I've reaffirmed my competency as a "deer counselor." Last year I felt like I was constantly learning, constantly working, and in a way, constantly struggling to remember everything and find my niche within my staff. That's come pretty easily this year when all is said and done, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm thriving, and learning a lot in the process about kids and from the kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment