It starts tomorrow.
I drove past the hospital today.
It is small...a lot smaller than the one that I was suppose to be at,
But I trust that I'm supposed to be here
And I will learn A Lot.
It does sound like they see a good variety,
And I like communities, which this sounds like.
Pillars of my approach
-Be present: even if it is my 5th time of the day explaining hip precautions, it is this person's first time hearing them. Do not sound rehearsed.
-Listen: I know that I have to work on this in everyday life, though I do it pretty well with clients. So this is a goal for both. The commencement speaker made a good point: "Listen to understand, not to reply"
-Get to know each client on a personal level, too: They will know that I am interested and care about them outside wanting to make them better, and I will not be able to just think about them as another client (even and especially "the pesky ones").
-Enable: Set the bar high, and push and support each individual to that goal (another commencement speaker quote). Find out what makes clients go, and think beyond the minimum to use that to propel them to where they want to go. Allow them to do things/help them problem solve by themselves.
-Laugh: When possible, make treatment fun and funny. Not all will like this, so judge and ease in accordingly. In the past, I have found that this works quite well in inpt rehab, though.
-Humility: Remain open to feedback. Own up to mistakes, and learn from them. Remember that any competence/gifts that I display can represent me, or something more legit, and go with the second.
Verse or Quote of the day (fieldwork edition)
Colossians 3.12-18
Put on then, as Gods chosen ones (and) holy and beloved, compassion, kindness, lowliness, meekness, and patience, forbearing one another and, if one has a complain against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you...And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly...And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord, giving thanks to God...
A tall order, but we're required to try!
No comments:
Post a Comment