The therapy director, who did my orientation, is such a model of how you can merge kindness, personality, and rapport to be a great leader! She was wonderful, and made me feel super-welcome.
I felt very comfortable being the professional version of myself. I would describe this self as warm, laughter (with others, causing others, and at myself), and eager to learn. Context matters though. Some people may never embrace this. I feel so lucky that I ended up somewhere that the people are so kind and that I think that I'll fit in just fine. It will truly help me make the most of this experience. I have been provided for. I am blessed!
TheHospital is a very small one. They have a capacity for 225 beds if a natural disaster hit or something, but really they have about 60 beds till they're "full."
This has perks, too, though.
These include gorgeous private rooms for every patient. They feel homey, with their fake wood floors and warm yellow walls. Not at all like a typical hospital.
There are ten therapists (OT and PT combined), so it's a homey feel. All are super-kind.
It also has a bit slower pace than a huge hospital. You can spend 5 minutes in between tasks joking and getting to know people.
The only cons are:
-It has a little less variety, since I think most severe traumas go to BigHospital some miles north
-I'm actually in acute care for this rotation. Acute care is much different than inpatient rehab. Because of the way billing is set up for inpatient rehab, you must spend at least 1 hour per day with each patient, so you'll have about 6 and time to document.
Acute care, people are more "in and out," usually either to inpatient rehab, or discharged all together. You may only see someone 35 minutes total. You will not address some of the "fun stuff" like daily tasks such as preparing a meal. You'll see 9, and you almost never give any of them "enough."
That pace is great for some people. It's not as much "me," since I like forming a relationship over a prolonged period of time. It'll give me good experience though, and help me to think on my feet if I ever do go to inpatient rehab. It's a step up in the demands, and I do generally feel comfortable going with the flow and winging it.
And in this environment, I can definitely do it and enjoy doing it. I'm still going to try to bring relationships into it though, even if it is only a 35 minute session.
Quotes of the day...today there are two!
This is one of my favorites!
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.
-George Washington Carver
And another!
On the street I saw a small girl cold and shivering in a thin dress, with little hope of a decent meal. I became angry and said to God: "Why did you permit this? Why don't you do something about it?" For awhile God said nothing.
That night he replied, quite suddenly:
"I certainly did something about it.
I made you."
-Sister Mary Rose McGeady
In line with the last entry...thank you, God! It is my job to work hard to be a steward of the gifts that he gave me. I did nothing to deserve them. I do not deserve them now. When I step back and check my ego at the door, it's always surprising how much more powerful his work is!
P.S. I feel a need to add periodically that I do not edit my entries, or this blog. I am well-versed in grammar, compared to the typical young adult, but I figure that I edit enough in life. I am sure that these entries are full of errors and slip-ups. I just trust you to look past them. Thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment