Sunday, August 26, 2012

A recap

What can I say?
I had a great summer.

I was really fortunate in my selection of a Wisconsin hospital.
Many in my class flocked to TheMostPrestigiousHospital in TheBiggestCityEver.

My experience at Double H was that those actually on the cabin staff recognized my gifts, and liked me. It was also, though, that beyond the immediate staff who saw me working with kids, many people did not have confidence in me. It would be accurate to say that they were mostly the party type (and I was under 21), but they also had the party personality and I was more intelligent and inclusive than many of them.
People seemed to wonder (sometimes to my face) why and how I could be so good with kids just because they didn't really give me a chance to interact with them.
To some extent, I don't blame them. People all over seem to hold the same beliefs until they see me at work.
But, nonetheless, over a 2 year period, that did get wearing and started to make me nervous when some of those who 'didn't get it' were around.
I wanted to have confidence in my foundation here, and I realized that for me, being comfortable in my environment and with those around me is huge.

This hospital system had consistently had positive reviews of supervisors, a moderate pace, and kind patients, all which were favorable to me in terms of learning experiences.

My first clinical instructor (CI) was PHENOMENAL. She was great at teaching in the sense of calmly asking for my rationale, communicating, and giving appropriate guidance while helping me take it to the next level. By week 7, I was seeing 9 patients by myself a day (and documenting them), with the exception of a case here or there that was new and complex.
I have friends at week 9 who still aren't seeing any patients alone, so while my progression felt slow to me (because of documentation), I guess it was pretty solid.

Along the way were many hilarious moments and honest mistakes. There was the time I taught someone the wrong bed mobility technique. A woman whose pouf (African American hair bun) saved the day as she sat down abruptly, bumping my head. There was the day I didn't smell a soiled depends, and left it for PT (it was an accident, I swear!!)

There was also an IV that popped out (thankfully during my CI's instruction)
A man who vomited my first 10 seconds with him
etc etc

The whole office included me, and we had fun and funny lunches, meetings, run-ins in the hall etc. I feel very blessed to have experienced that. There was not a single day when I felt like 'I have to go to work today' or 'drats. Tomorrow's Monday."

I then moved over to inpatient rehab.
My CI was kind. She was not really critical with feedback, but as a second fieldwork this suited me well.
I worked with amazing nurses at both places, but very closely with them here. They were so fun!!
I did not enjoy the office environment as much (drama--not with me), but that provided good insight.
It was a good learning experience for what to look into. Although if the market necessitates that I take a job in a similar environment, that's fine, but if I have my choice, small hospital with wonderful staff, I'm yours!!!

I just finished a relaxing break at home. It included seeing the Tri-city valleycats, going to cooperstown, seeing my NJ family, shopping with mom (a lot. Thanks, Mom!), getting together with Jonathan and Violet, turning 24, going hiking, riding the tandem bike, and lots of running and baseball playing.
Perfect. Supremely relaxed.
I'm back on the Productivity Train now, though.

Back in the dorm. Classes start tomorrow!

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive