I don't intend to work with sickle cell disease forever, but I do hope to always be working with some under-served population. I posted this yesterday on facebook, and I believe it.
"Whichever way you vote next Tuesday, practice compassion in your life. Seek to understand others. Love those who are more fortunate, and those who are less fortunate, knowing that both can be accompanied by their shares of difficulty. Don't let your fears be a product of ignorance; let any fears be a product of valid experience. Be consistently active in something outside of yourself and outside of your faith community.
This is the way that we move forward as a country, regardless of the election outcome. Together, we are WAY stronger and more of an agent for change than the government."
This is the way that we make change. If enough people reach outside themselves, I think our world will be better for it. I think that it's all our responsibility to raise men of integrity and girls who know their worth. Once we interact with children, it becomes our responsibility to contribute to that end. It's our responsibility based on how we contribute to our society's culture (Do we objectify ourselves in all our facebook photos e.g. suck in stomach to perpetuate unrealistic expectations? Do we work for a magazine that photoshops girls so they have no pores and no waist? Do we reinforce beauty or working hard and character traits?). Really, yes, it should be parents' responsibilities, but we can't deny that some kids are not as fortunate in that regard. In the face of parental absence, coaches, peers, teachers, mentors, volunteers, neighbors and so many more people can play a key role.
I'm not even liberal. I'm moderate.
I'm not going to tell you which way to vote, and honestly, I don't care which way people vote. There are good and radical people on both sides. And love and compassion should not be partisan. But what I do care about is not mis-portraying the vast majority of Americans as undeserving of our involvement and care on a personal level. I do care about, if social services are cut, us stepping up, and not stepping back, to care for others in our communities. Regardless of what we believe politically, socially we all have a role. And we all benefit from fulfilling that role. It doesn't need to be organized. It just needs to be there. Some people do that naturally by caring for older adults they know, or simply acknowledging a homeless man. That's wonderful, too.
What I'm saying is that, whatever the election result, I'm still hopeful for our country. I have to believe that, whatever happens next Tuesday, we are going to love on others in a way that shapes our world. I would love to see government facilitate this, and yes, some of Romney quotes do scare me with his beliefs of those 47% (versus a self-described "compassionate conservative" like British Prime Minister David Cameron). And I have my own preferences. But we > government, either way.
Some pics from our event this past weekend. I am the cow. I am not vain. I just figured as this is my blog, and since most people come here to find out information about me, I was going to post pictures of me. But there were many fun times with the great people I work with and the kids!
Pumpkin painting and cookie decorating
Little kid eating flashlight
This game was a hit. The kids were great individually, but they weren't really interacting with each other. This turned into a massive game of trying to keep the balloon in the air (can't hit it 2x in a row) for 50 hits.
Great kids, great dance moves
Catherine and Mackenzie, two of the phenomenal ladies who work full-time in the lab that I'm a part of.
I don't think that I knew that they were taking a picture. This is me, Catherine, Tinisha, and Ashley (other OTD student)
HRSA (the government in charge of our SCD grants) calls us "The Missouri Team." Not pictured is Dr. King
MO team 2
Happy Halloween!
Upcoming fun = LAST WEEKLY LIT REVIEW DUE TOMORROW, playing pickup frisbee, going to Boo at the Zoo (https://mail.wusm.wustl.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=FIhXyh86mUeKbpTl8dngqiamuce0ic8IwSw4C7BsvJOmxHsHEXLHkQsq4TcnGWBQ1Jz3LN9cCsY.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.stlzoo.org%2fevents%2fcalendarofevents%2fbooatthezoonights%2f),having my first participant Thursday, and flying home that evening for 4 days for Violet's baby shower. YAYYYYY for seeing my mommy!






.jpg)
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment