Monday, October 8, 2012

 Without the assistance of the Divine Being who ever attended him, I cannot succeed. With that assistance I cannot fail. 
-Lincoln

My research project went well today. I spent much of this weekend having heart palpitations wondering how I'll possibly get it all done before my first participant's clinic appointment in mid-October. My philosophy is to sleep on it whenever I'm overwhelmed. 90% of the time, things are manageable the next day. And you can actually take action. Or I could this time, only during the week. 

Today I got 4 more GED sites surveyed, set up appointments, and was again encouraged in my project. It never fails that when I'm feeling doubtful (many times! I just try to deal with the doubt), I hear something in a coffee shop from a student with sickle cell, see something on TV, or in the case of this morning, read it on facebook. There ain't that many coincidences in the world! The post below really encouraged me!

"My senior yr in high school was not a good yr. I miss over 30 days b/c of hospital stays and my grades were slipping and so my Dr send my to see a psychiatrist who diagnosed me. Needles to say I didnt graduate and spent 3yrs wallowing in self pity. Then God reminded me that he is in control and at 20 I got my G.E.D then 3wks later I was a college student. After 5yrs of hard work and dropping and retaking classes b/c of sick days I graduated with a degree in biotechnology in 2010 and I'm back to get #2 in biology! Dnt let it get u dwn or put ur dreams on hold."

The power of education! A GED! From a young adult with sickle cell!

Today in scheduling a session with a young adult, I was also proud of the ways that my program is so different from what's out there. She basically justified doing the site surveys, without really meaning to.  I can get back on the phone calling places for that! This whole thing has been a blind leap of faith, of sorts, and most of the time, I have had no idea how it would turn out. It's nice to think that I might be on the right track. 



About once a week I basically want to cry while doing my retrospective data collection/analysis (looking up data in past charts). It quickly becomes clear how pernicious, chronic, and horrific this condition is...and how under-served. But even though that's why my project is hard, that's also why it's important. 

Some of this is me. I'm putting in more hours than anyone I know. But I can also tell you that I KNOW that without "the Divine Being," I could not have succeeded thus far. Hours mean nothing without faith and guidance. I know that with that guidance, I cannot fail. Whether it's within me or for others, fruit will come of this labor. 

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive