Wednesday, December 12, 2012

I'm vocal about the benefits of failing.
I respect that my education saw me fail many times, in many ways, big and small.
It not only means that I challenged myself,
but that the challenge, the process, the learning, also became something that I intrinsically enjoyed.
Not something I did for a grade.
Because sometimes those grades would be B's (or, dare I say it, C's).  I believe I learned far more, far more quickly than had I not had that opportunity to be challenged. I appreciate the opportunity to take classes where if you don't study hard, you fail.

And though I may feel that I have failed at something (which is sometimes accurate), I don't easily feel like a failure.
Because the first time you experience something, whether a bad day, a fight, a breakup, or failing, it may feel like it's the end of the world,
But you soon learn that it's not.
I had plenty of opportunities to learn that. 
And a large dose of humility does anyone, especially me, good. 

There have been things lately that made me feel like I was failing. Maybe it was a participant no-show last week and a boy that has rescheduled 80,000,000 times. Or maybe it was that the girl I met with also cancelled. My project felt like it was going nowhere.
I accepted it might not, and, as I have all along, but more sincerely again last week, prayed that I learn something from this experiment, whatever it may be.

Today was a minor victory, however, and I will celebrate that.

And what I like the most about this is I had that time of failure to know that it's not me. God and I are doing this together! I'm putting in some elbow-grease, but really nothing good can or has to come from my hands alone.
So cheers, BigDaddy!

May I continue to learn, and whether the program succeeds or fails, may I continue to challenge myself, and distinguish failing from being a failure. As hard as that may sometimes be. Nothing worthwhile ever gets done without risk of failure, otherwise someone would have already done it. 

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive