I have a few more groundhogs running around in my stomach this time. It has been over a year since I have written a treatment plan, SOAP note, goals or run a session. We didn't do any "OT" this year in school. I am confident enough that I will catch on quickly, but there will likely be some early growing pains. Add this to the fact that I will be working with immunosuppressed children on one day, who just happen to be recently discharged premies, and that's cause for a slight anxiety.
It is such a relief to have my own space, though. I LOVE having a little studio. My favorite part of the day is when the toast pops up from the toaster oven, though I also love not having to worry about locking myself out whenever I take a shower (although this was a great way of meeting a neighbor this past school year).
I like how last years post is structured, with things that I wanted to be mindful of. This is a different patient population (kids) in a different setting (outpatient), so here is what I'd like to be the "cornerstones of my approach" this year.
1) Creativity. Go the extra mile to make the treatment activities challenge the necessary skills or muscles, but also fun. Provide creative ways that are actually realistic for parents to translate to the home.
2) Humor. Kids want to be kids, and all kids want to laugh. Keep things fresh with laughter.
3) Authenticity. Kids especially pick up on unauthentic words and behaviors, and I am around kids a lot. Be "real" and honest with kids in an age-appropriate way.
3) Authenticity. Kids especially pick up on unauthentic words and behaviors, and I am around kids a lot. Be "real" and honest with kids in an age-appropriate way.
4) Provide choice. A lot of times with sick kids, things are done "to" them or "for" them. Some of it is necessary (few four year olds would elect to get a shot), but whenever possible, I want to try to provide opportunities to empower the kid to make a decision WITH them. This could be as simple as having them choose between two possible treatment activities, or as complex with having them tell me at the end of one session what they want to address the next session, and planning some of my activities around that.
5) NO BABY VOICE (EXCEPT WITH THE BABIES). I'm short, y'all, and some people used the baby voice with me until I was 9 or 10. This one I learned from watching someone else at Double H. Even with the 6 and 7 year olds, she made a point to speak to them in a real way. This doesn't meant that one can't be goofy. It just means that in the non-goofy times, speak to kids like they're closer to my age. It works wonders (though a baby voice is good with babies. It helps them learn language).
6) Education Education Education. Explain the 'why' in lay-mans terms to the parents and the kids. A minute of education can help lessen confusion, increase understanding, and increase adherence. Take the time to do this.
7) Lastly, treat every child (and parent) as a child of Christ. Seek to bond with each and every child who walks through. Look for the good in each parent and family who walks through the doors. Love love love, even when it would be easier to be frustrated or give up.
Ephesians 1.3-4
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places..."
God has blessed me with the tools that I need to demonstrate his love for others on earth.
Sirach 2.1
"My child, when you come to serve the Lord, prepare yourself for testing. Set your heart right and be steadfast, and do not be impetuous in time of calamity. Cling to him and do not depart, so that your last days may be prosperous. Accept whatever befalls you, and in times of humiliation be patient. For gold is tested in fire, and those found acceptable, in the furnace of humiliation. Trust in him, and he will help you; make your ways straight and hope in him."
I'm working through Sirach this summer. Once a week, I will share a personal experience of something that was a challenge or struck me during the week. This verse was so appropriate for tonight. God does his part, and I need to work to do mine.
Lots of love. xoxo,
Joyce
No comments:
Post a Comment