Friday, July 26, 2013

A state affair

The State Fair is a state affair.

You may remember that last year I went to my first County Fair, at least that I can remember. Well, the next two weeks are the Ohio State Fair, and I'm not one to pass up on a cultural experience.
I went yesterday (my off day). It was interesting, y'all. There was plenty to look at...cement and brick layer contests, cow milking, beautiful, sweet sheep, cows, pigs, ducks, roosters, and rabbits, cake contests, pies, lace making contests, tractors, cowgirl horse skills competitions, and more strange foods than you would ever imagine!

And for the second year in a row, quiet, tough young country guys. I basically decided that they didn't detract from the overall atmosphere.

I don't have a camera, so I couldn't take any pictures of  them it.

It also seemed ironic that after seeing all those sweet animals that I could eat lamb or beef (the chickens were kind of annoying, though, so I'm okay with that...if you've ever heard over 300 roosters cockel-doodle-dooing, you wouldn't be surprised). I did. I like to support my local farmers when it's financially possible and responsible.

On the way out, I had some Ohioan Amish pie, and stumbled upon the Mark Leach band performing (it was just a 4pm concert). I thought that they were pretty good, and they had great energy on stage.




Tonight, Martina McBride is playing. Next weekend is Carly Rae Jepsen (mom...that's your "Call Me Maybe" girl). Pretty cool!

Work continues to go pretty well. I struggle knowing how to facilitate/push participation with some of our kids with autism, but I do feel that by week 12, I'll have my feet under me. That's my biggest challenge, though. Some of them just make sense to me, and others don't. It can be hard to chase a hyper-active, non-verbal child around to make him or her participate in writing activities.

And now for excitement: the next two weekends I get to see cousins! And my mom. And one of my high school best friends who lives in Cincinnati now and I have weekends in the books for a swap! Woo!

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive