during which I learn the same lessons
over and over (and over) again
spaced out by years, days, minutes, seconds
Depending on how long it takes me to forget
Because contrary to what I might like to think,
I am not an elephant,
and I do not have his memory.
I forget.
I forget
To appreciate,
To be present,
To be authentic,
To cherish,
To communicate,
To go to bed early so I don't wake up an hour late for work,
To slow down
To be efficient
To breathe and thank God in the same breath
To not let one bad thing negate a billion good.
To not be swept into the captiousness of others
"To listen to understand, not to respond"
To live deliberately.
isn't it ironic how we remember what we'd rather forget
and forget what we should remember?
And isn't it ironic how in the daily challenge to remember 300 mundane items to-do list,
we forget to remember the most important things?
At a deep level.
At a visceral level.
At a level that pauses moments and takes breath away and heals.
isn't it funny how easy it is to forget that grace truly is amazing?
Or that beauty is an expression in the eyes, and the rest is just a facade.
How deeply will we search? How far will we look?
Will I see it in the mothers on meth? The babies who run amok? The parents who are anxious?
Will I see beyond the present facade to what lies below?
Will I remove my own facade?
and live my own truth?
and the stories that were given to me to tell?
Because the beautiful thing when we dare to live is
not only that the truth will set us free.
But that it also sets others around us free.
If I only remember to be free.
No comments:
Post a Comment