Sunday, July 21, 2013

Wednesday is my favorite day! Neonatal clinic AND dodgeball. Last week was the first week that it was held. It's by no stretch one of my "good sports." Those involve a lot of running and/or lower body strength vs upper (e.g. soccer vs volleyball). It's nice to get out and play though. Next week I think that I'll go to the social after. 

I am now entering my fourth week of fieldwork. Next week is a big jump in that I'm taking a lot of the "behaviorally challenging" kids instead of the ones that are a little more straightforward. I'm going to be a pro at the "mom voice" by the time that I'm actually a parent. It's nice to be fun and funny, but I've learned the past few years that if you really love a child, you have to be who they need you to be, not who you want to be. In order to engage kids in reading in the Lou, I had to leave my "camp counselor" Joyce at the door, facilitate a quiet and smooth transition, and bring the energy back down after bringing it up. Otherwise, the kids didn't listen or learn anything. The same applies here. I just need to balance the fun and silly with the "lets get it done" attitude. It has been a lot of fun working with the kids, though!

I also love Thursdays, because they're my day off! This Thursday is the start of the Ohio State Fair!! Woooo. I'm excited to experience my first state fair. I hear it's huge with a lot of competitions. Saturday mornings I spend at the farmer's market. Now that I have time to cook for myself, I'm trying to not eat out more than once a month, and to cook all fresh items. Sometimes this is a bit challenging, given that I only have a stove top, but I'm off to try to cook Naan over it now. We'll see how it turns out!!

This concludes my disjointed entry for the weekend!

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive