Thursday, August 15, 2013

Birthday Grace


I really like this concept. 

Ann Voskamp is the author of one of my favorite books, One Thousand Gifts. She talks about her initial struggle, and then the power of, recognizing 1000 gifts present in everyday life in the midst of her busyness and suffering. 1000 Gifts from God, although I think regardless of our religious beliefs, we can all benefit from realizing the simple gifts in everyday life.

For her 40th birthday this week, Ann decided to be the gift. Instead of getting gifts, Ann asked for her family to be the gift to 40+ others in their community for her birthday. They carried out 40 acts of kindness right in their community...quarters under the swing for children to find, detergent on the machines at the laundromat, grocery gift cards, flowers for folks at the nursing home, and so on.

I turn 25 in 10 days. I don't mind being alone for my birthday. I have seen my family a lot this summer, and I am thankful for that. Conveniently, my birthday falls on a Thursday...an off day. Why not help at a soup kitchen or pick up litter in the park? I can't spend a lot, but I can do some things. 

If you want to see something even more thought-provoking, check out the way that Ann, her husband, and her kids live every Christmas. http://www.aholyexperience.com/2012/12/the-grateful-christmas-project-7-ways-to-have-more-grateful-kids-this-christmas/


No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive