Sunday, August 25, 2013

Is it the job that makes the job fun, or is it the people? How do we tease out which it is that is making us happy?

This is what I am confronting lately. 

Did I only absolutely adore research because I loved Dr. King's lab, or could I ever be happy down the road working as a professor? 
Did I only love adult acute care because I was at a hospital with an AMAZINGLY cohesive, fun, supportive staff (including nurses, aides, and doctors?), or did I truly love it and would be happier doing that most of the time?

Am I only not COMPLETELY loving this rotation because the staff isn't that way...is cut and dry and fractured? I have great supervision, but the environment isn't the same. 

All the confusion certainly don't help to clarify my future. 

I will say that pediatric OT does make you more scared for having children, because you see all that can...go differently. Autism and CP and genetic disabilities are in your face daily. Families struggle to hold it together as their son with muscular dystrophy declines. It evokes a different reality than most soon-to-be parents consider. 

I don't think that alone would hold me back though. There are many FUN parts of pediatric OT (glitter glue, games, painting with food, etc). I just need to remember that I'm going to have the children that I'm meant to have. It's no use worrying about what hasn't happened yet.

Please consider weighing in if you have any job vs. people or job selection advice that you'd like to share!

1 comment:

Alison Doherty said...

As you know, I have many many job decision queries and am in no position to offer advice really. But I think that the people you are with make up way more than 50% of your enjoyment of a job. I've had jobs where I love my work, but I hate my job because of office culture or other people.

I honestly think that you are so intuitive and wise (seriously even thinking about it the way you write in the post shows so much thought) that you are going to make great choices moving forward. Whatever choice you make is the right choice.

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive