There's nothing like community.
It's a shame that it's recognized so infrequently.
Why are we all afraid of each other unless we all fall on hard times together?
That's one of the things that I LOVE about St. Louis.
People cared for each other.
People who could use a buck tell you that your wallet is exposed on the metro.
A city looks into the eyes of gold star families walking with picture signs and says "I see. I see the pain. I recognize his courage. I'm sorry. I thank you," because two guys were sitting around and decided the reception at home was not what it should be, and our city could do better.
It's a city where a joke on a street corner is shared by white/black/poor/rich/old/young/sick/well folks without a second thought.
It's where a city sings and screams and hugs and screams again non-stop for two-hours, just because a team has gotten into the post-season,
AndYouAnd3MillionOfYourClosestFriendsWatch.
It's a city where I learned not to fear, to greet instead of judge.
It's a city that does the best with what they've got, unfazed in the face of Goliath,
And that knows that if you're doing things the right way, you can be proud of the results.
It's world class physicians as your neighbor,
And mentor
Who still spend time with patients, and reach out to learn from occupational therapy and physical therapy students in addition to medical students,
I don't think that I'll ever move to a city as authentic and friendly as St. Louis. I'm sure that I'll live in cities that are great at other things, but I feel so fortunate to have experienced life in that cozy corner of the midwest.
Why do we wait so long to reach out as a community in other places?
Can we love NY year round, even when it seems ugly, and the person next to you looks different? Because we only love as strongly as we love the most unlovable people.
Can we be Boston Strong, Columbus Strong, Albany Strong, San Francisco Strong in the face of no danger?
Lets not wait until danger to share a moment with the strangers around us,
Because I think we're all looking for a bit of community.
And it's a beautiful thing to find.
No comments:
Post a Comment