Mom thought I said a bad word, and that was going to be my new job.
I will think twice before I say "I'm so excited to go see the prosthetists at work tomorrow."
So what is a typical day like?
Awesome. As long as I'm not reading scientific articles until I bleed from the ears, it's very fun.
My hours are 8-4. I get on the computers and do some data collection in the morning. Right now I'm running some stats on our demographics and what factors are correlated with a successful prosthetic training outcome. Sometimes I will watch a therapy session in the morning, but usually I work on one of the other smaller projects that my boss has given me as well.
Kara, Cono, and Chris are the three young PTs, and they are always very nice in saying good morning when they come in. I appreciate their kindness to a nomadic student-stranger.
From 12-12:30 is lunch, and it's entirely too short.
I sit with a very wise group of rehab aids, and we usually talk about grammar, experiences, pets, etc. They're very fun, and it's nice to break out of the office for a bit. The young therapists are documenting through lunch, so I don't get to eat with them.
Some days, I go help the PTs on a machine called the Therastride. It helps those with spinal cord injuries learn to walk again. Today I was promoted to a harder job (affected leg), so that's cool. I usually go get some "therapy time" watching some of the patients with amputations at work. At this point, it's not for information as much as for a bit of a break, although I do learn something new each time.
I make some phone calls, document the results of a few journal articles (scientific studies), and before I know it, it's 3:50. I say 3:50 on purpose, because that's always when I notice the time, and after 3:50, I notice how slowly time passes.
Generally I come home and work on 1 of 204943590 projects. Before I know it, it's 10:30, when I read, turn off the lights, sleep, and repeat.
No comments:
Post a Comment