I'm levelheaded and think things through, and a lot of the time, I am right in my analysis. I'm right a lot of the time.
But I'm not right all the time,
I'm not.
I was wrong about acute care. I was wrong about figuring that it was too fast paced. I was wrong about thinking that I'd rather be with people 1.5 hours every day for 2-3 weeks.
I liked the whirlwind. I liked the people. I liked never knowing what I was going to see.
I thought that I was going to love working with kids.
I loved the KIDS.
But to me, there were some ethical dilemmas
And there was just the wearying of realizing that most of my job was being a disciplinarian so that I could get the kids to attend to whatever the task was
By the end, I was very successful with it,
But those kids who came in who were more fine motor kids/neurotypical,
Kids like Henry and Sean and Mackenzie and Samantha,
I loved them. I loved actually getting to use my bonding WITH kid skillz
Instead of having to learn that I had to tone it way down to get it done...
And, surprisingly, I missed talking to adults.
Would I not apply to a pediatric job?
No.
But is it still my definite first job of choice?
No.
I was wrong about two things.
Did I initially think that I wanted to go to Wash U over Tufts?
Not until I visited them.
What I'm saying is that email the first day of fieldwork that I'd be at a different hospital with a different instructor?
Blessing in disguise.
Visiting Wash U?
Blessing in disguise.
Most hospitals that I'm looking at are only looking for per diem occupational therapists (vs. full time).
But I'm banking on wherever I end up being the right place
Even if I don't necessarily know it's right right now
Because, you know, I've been wrong before.
No comments:
Post a Comment