This shouldn't be a new revelation, but my dad has said several times when I came home that I didn't know when to NOT offer up my facts.
Whoops.
And then, recently I told someone I was 99% sure that the giants play in NJ and the Jets in NYC.
Turns out I was wrong.
Double whoops.
That's been a bit of an eye-opener.
I think I have it all figured out,
but in doing so, I forget that there are many different ways to figure things out.
And that being a KnowItAll annoys people more than it impresses them.
So yeah, I'm going to try to tuck this particular trait in my back pocket more.
I like what the commencement speaker said, and while I am great at taking it into account in my OT practice, I'm terrible at it in my personal life:
"Listen, and listen to understand, not to respond"
I am patient and empathetic and calm with clients, but sometimes at home mom asks me to do something Right This Second (love you, mom),
And I react, instead of acting out of love
and Just Doing or Calmly Explaining.
Let's be real here.
To some extent, that will always happen.
I am okay with not being perfect 100% of the time,
Because imperfections are the fertile soil for growth,
and that helps us grow towards the sun,
Not think about our own greatness.
So the potion to cure a nasty case of the boils?
Even if I know that is on page 497,
Perhaps I'll keep it to myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment