Saturday, April 26, 2014

Today was the annual ACYOA blood drive. Being an OT changes a lot of things (I will connect the two threads in a minute). When I look at gymnasts or kids with a "w" seated position, I get creeped out by the low tone. And when I donate blood, I figured out what was going on with my hand.

I am used to digging and/or multiple sticks due to my small veins, so I tried to encourage and take the pressure off the puncturer. "Don't worry if you have to dig. I'm used to it." He stuck. He dug.

"Did you get it?"
"No...(digs)..."
"Okay"
"I can't watch your face, so tell me if it hurts."
"Okay. It's fine...............ow. ow!"

It was a different kind of pain. Sharp. I wondered briefly whether he hit a nerve, but I put it out of my mind because I was trying not to let tears well up. The guy got the needle in and apologized. 

Shortly thereafter, I was overcome by prickling and tingling in my first 3.5 fingers (yes, half, I'll get to that soon). Perhaps it was just because I was donating blood. I finished and held my arm in the air. The sensation was worse. I put my arm down. It was still as bad. My fingers felt massive. I got to self-diagnose some median nerve irritation. The median nerve's sensory branches serve the first 3.5 fingers. It was unreal how different the sensation was in the two halves of my ring finger. The radial side felt huge. The ulnar side was pretty good. The median nerve is also in a prime position to take a hit. IT WAS SO COOL. Haha. 

After about 30 minutes, my fingers finally started to feel a bit better. The numbness abated. My fingers did not feel as weak or huge. I was not worried, as I know enough about nerve injuries and regeneration to know this wasn't severe, so it was more of just a fun experience to apply my knowledge. #OTProblems

My hand feels a lot better now, though still a bit prickly. It was one of my more exciting donations. 

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive