Let me backtrack.
It all started because my dad is a dork.
He likes really dorky things.
I love him for his strange hobbies and he has an extraordinary depth of knowledge.
Over 500 bird songs by ear. Over 600 birds by sight.
Stamps.
History (and science, which is a given with his profession).
Biking
And biathlon.
He has cross-country skiied for YEARS. I'm not talking about a little cruise through the woods. More like 50k races.
And so biathlon (alternating XC skiing and target-shooting prone) was no huge leap. He bought a gun and started shooting while I was in grad school.
He is very careful. We're not young kids, but the ammo is always in a locked box, and his guns are always empty in a safe.
By now he has many. And like anything Dad does, he's amazing. He's a student of technique and physics in any and all endeavors.
So anyhow, he's done very well.
I shot his rifles once in standing with a bench, but after that, I turned down offers to accompany him to the range. Work is tiring and going to the woods afterwards to hear about 99 technical things is a bit overwhelming.
When he asked if I wanted to participate in an Appleseed Project weekend, I mostly said yes because a) I felt bad about turning him down so many times and b) because I disagree with Cuomo's process of passing the NYS Safe Act, and some of its provisions.
So yeah, it turned out to be ah-maz-ing.
I wanted to discover a latent talent, and let me tell you, I did not get amazing groups of shots like most newcomers probably hope. But it was a great time with good people (doctor, lawyer, pharmacist, OT, accountant, and 2 veterans). It was interesting, because they really go over the fundamentals of using a sling, natural point of aim, proper breathing, and shooting technique in prone, sitting, kneeling (which they said I was a statue in...that's a good thing!) and standing.
The two combat veterans said that they wished they learned all this prior to deployment. I guess Project Appleseed also goes to military bases to teach, and they hear that often. I'm sure with so much to learn and practice, it probably is hard for soldiers/officers to fit it all in. Which is probably why my dad won a military shoot last year while surrounded by police officers, deer hunters, and military men. He learned from an Appleseed.
You learn a bit, apply it, learn some more, etc.
It was all very well done. Along the way, we learned some history of the American Revolution etc. I was afraid I'd be the only beginner, but there were two others, and also two other females.
I shot again tonight (Monday) and did much better, though I did use a scope. Dad's going to get me a youth stock (30$), because stocks I guess are usually built for the average male. And I am not that height. I'm not sure yet about whether I'll want to continue shooting far into the future or not, but it'd be a neat and nifty skill to have (especially if the world goes nuts), and I enjoyed it enough to want to continue until at least the Ladyseed (female instructors and female participants only) in September.
I doubt anyone out there is interested in rifle shooting, but if you are, I highly recommend Project Appleseed!
No comments:
Post a Comment