Wednesday, July 30, 2014

When things are tough, that's when we learn something. When they don't come easily, we improve, we grow, and we learn something about a work ethic. We learn how to solve technique problems and big challenges. 

Work beats talent when talent doesn't work. 
I've seen it over and over...how character and critical thinking easily trump intelligence without passion or perseverance. 

In the most recent cases, I didn't really like the soccer league I joined, and I was really terrible at shooting. 

With soccer, the goalie mean-yelled the entire time. It wasn't necessarily fun to pay 100$ to play soccer at 9pm on a weeknight. Most of the yelling was directed at me. A friend from kickball had asked me to join her team, and I accepted without realizing most of my teammates/opponents had played soccer at LEAST through high school. 

I made some pretty awkward plays my first week. It felt weird and I did kinda poorly. I wanted to quit. I took ownership of the fact that my parents never let me. I could choose not to continue with something when the year ended (they were so glad I quit clarinet. I was terrible and they openly admit now it was torture to hear me practice), but I was not allowed to quit because I was shy or someone didn't like me or I didn't enjoy something. They never picked me up from Armenian Church camp when I was a complete loner and teased, even though twice I begged (most years I loved it, but sometimes you end up in the "cool" sessions). 

I don't know that a lot of kids get that now. 
Anyhow, fastforward several weeks. I'm making great plays, developing footwork, and scoring some sweet goals. I'm marking the fast girl so she doesn't get the ball. I'm still a longgggggggggg way from being a legit soccer player, but it's fun to run around and nice to see improvement. I've learned to deal with the fact that some people mean-yell, even though it's not how I'd choose to encourage a teammate. So that's cool. 

I've also made MASSIVE improvements in shooting using military sights (not a scope). I'm getting really tight groups, as I've focused on the little things. These are improvements that have come relatively quickly, but that hasn't been everything for me. I've stuck with many things where that wasn't the case. 

In general, I've felt very happy and fulfilled this year. I've ventured out in some scary, funny, and interesting ways, as I've lived in Ohio, and then moved back to a hometown where I know essentially no one. It could easily be very isolating. I feel very close and in sync with my faith, my hobbies and my family, and I'm developing some good friendships. 

Everyone's life is different. We all have different interests. Mine is sports and domestics (cooking, crafting and sewing). I do want to encourage thinking outside the box and stretching yourself, and trying something a little while longer when you're ready to quit.

The lessons and improvements are their own rewards. 

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive