Thursday, July 10, 2008

"Get inspired, go inspire" -Double H staff training motto

Yesterday I was reading the latest issue of runners world when I came across the inspirational stories page. I realized that's really what I'm around everyday. The type of enthusiasm and appreciation these kids have for life really does inspire you to do whatever you do 110%, whether it's loving school or planning an activity or running. With that attitude surrounding you, it's not hard to get inspired, go out there, and hope that the campers can take something away from us as well.

"It's not that the children say 'thank you for a wonderful time'...it's that they say 'thank you for changing my life'" -Paul Newman

Really, truly, honestly, for the most part, we forget about the kids illnesses during the week, and I think they do too. They no longer define them at camp, because they no longer define what they can and can't do. Kids in chairs can do the high ropes course and swim and go on roller coasters. A kid with a trach can still sing in a talent show without ridicule and swim 1 on 1. We do what needs to be done for them, but mostly camp is just about pure, unbridled fun. That confidence is something that the kids take home with them, based on parent evaluations.

"The greatest gift of generosity is not only giving what you have, but giving who you are." -Jacqui

That sentence was in our staff manual, and I love it, although in many ways it's harder. It's certainly more tiring, but, just like with running, you get out of it what you put into it. The funny thing is, the more tired you get, the more energized and inspired you get. Another sentence states that our strength lies in our differences, and we certainly are a pretty different crowd. We all bring different things to the table, and we're all learning all the time.

"From the outside looking in you can never understand it. From the inside looking out, you can never explain it." Double H

Many of our kids this past week came from the city. It was hilarious to see their reactions to things as many of them they were experiencing for the first time. For example, J-- (while not so gently patting A Pretty Terrified Bunnny) "See, I've got the animal touch. Yo Jeter (bunny's name), what's cracking." Many of them had never seen stars or swam in a pool before, not only because pools I suppose are scarce in the city but many of them have too much of an air/water temperature variance for kids with sickle cell. For these kids especially, this only adds to the magic.

The coolest thing about HH is that we all, kids and counselors alike, see the positives in life. I don't think I heard anything negative all week. They don't dwell on things (and these are kids who have had strokes, hemorrhages, regulated lifestyles), they don't bring down the mood, and they don't focus on completely unnecessary negatives. They just go out there and have fun. It's all about stringing together all the little good things in life and letting that make you happy. That's really the part you can't explain, more than all the cool prizes and animals.

Session three starts tomorrow. I, for one, am pumped. On a mellower note, I came across this poem a while ago. As many of our parents pray for one more year with their kids, I think it's important for us all to remember to stop and really enjoy all the people that we're blessed with too.


Just for this morning, I am
going to step over the laundry,
and pick you up and take you to the park to
play.

Just for this morning, I will
leave the dishes in the sink,
and let you teach me how to put that puzzle
of yours together.

Just for this afternoon, I will
unplug the telephone and
keep the computer off, and sit with you in the
backyard and blow bubbles.

Just for this afternoon, I will
not yell once, not even a
tiny grumble when
you scream and whine for the ice
cream truck, and I will buy you one if
he comes by.

Just for this afternoon, I won't
worry about what you are
going to be when you grow up, or second guess
every decision I have made
where you are concerned.

Just for this afternoon, I will let
you help me bake cookies, and I won't
stand over you trying to fix them.
Just for this afternoon, I will take
us to McDonald's and buy us both a
Happy Meal so you can have both toys.

Just for this evening, I will hold
you in my arms and tell you a story
about how you were born and how
much I love you.

Just for this evening, I will let
you splash in the tub and
not get angry.

Just for this evening, I will let
you stay up late while we sit on the
porch and count all the stars.

Just for this evening, I will
snuggle beside you for hours,
and miss my favorite TV shows.
Just for this evening when I run
my finger through your hair
as you pray, I will simply be grateful that God
has given me the greatest gift ever
given.

I will think about the mothers
And fathers who are searching
for their missing children,
the mothers and fathers who are
visiting their children's graves
instead of their bedrooms, and mothers and
fathers who are in hospital rooms watching
their children suffer senselessly, and screaming inside that they can't
handle it anymore.

And when I kiss you good night I
will hold you a little tighter, a
little longer. It is then, that I will
thank God for you, and ask
him for nothing, except one more day...
Author Unknown

1 comment:

Holly said...

LIFE...You got it! Live it! Love it! Mom

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive