Okay. If you want a taste of what country life is like when you visit, make me take you to Wild Country. It was actually the strangest thing on the face of the planet, so naturally, it was a total blast. It was guys in cowboy hats and tight jeans and girls cut-offs and cowgirl boots (did no one tell them that it was February) with high stepping country music. It was PACKED. Some of us will probably go back there on one of their lesson nights, since it's not all that simple to pick up.
That aside, it really was a pretty blah day today. It was Monday. It was raining. Said rain makes the streets in St. Louis smell like rotting fish. We have the practical exam for our sensory module tomorrow. Computer work through lunch for a presentation tomorrow. Plus someone who was in my group last semester (the one we did all the projects with, and we were all good friends) said that she didn't facebook friend me until now because she thought I was judgmental, since I don't drink all that much, and she had "heard that" from someone else. I honestly don't give a potato what people do (as long as it's within reason); I just don't want you to force me to do it. People project that inference on me all the time though, because I just don't have a drink unless I want one (vs need one).
In high school, I decided that the only reason people are "more funny" when they drink or "can't dance" without it is because they're less inhibited. I can do that plenty well without alcohol, and remember what I did to boot, whereas for others, it's now a prerequisite for fun. So anyhow, I had to spend 10 minutes explaining that I really don't judge, I enjoy hanging out, and I respect her and her choices, and I hope she respects me and mine.
Not the most fun time. And it left me wondering what other people think.
On a good note, I've been reading the book of Solomon (Wisdom of) lately, and its been nice to realize while reading it that wisdom is something virtuous and so worthy of pursuit, and associated with many good things. I've sort of been grappling with that lately. Sometimes wisdom and strength seem more like liabilities than assets (in a girl at least), when mega-party girls and dependence are sort of the way of the day. I don't think that I could change who I am, even if I wanted, but it's nice not to want that, either. So anyhow, that's been great timing.
More pluses: poon is in two weeks, and this weekend is low-key, yay! Sushi night with our class, and a movie night with Steph and Lori (love 'em) are on the calendar. Other than that and running, I hope to veg with a book or something of that nature, too.
Adios.
(that was my attempt at a more "Joyce while frustrated" entry:)
No comments:
Post a Comment