Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Frustrations

This week has been really frustrating. Again. And again. And again. Really, it all revolves around group work. I cannot stand the leadership style of the girl who is on advocacy committee with me, and now leading it next year, and in two group projects with me: it's basically I'll take all the roles that I want, and you all can take the crappy ones. Why yes, I'll be presenting of course, even though I won't do any of the research, and yes, I'll talk in my baby voice the whole time (also while presenting about OT to 4th year residents. I'm sorry, but I know doctors- having lived with one-and they do NOT want to hear cutesy, tentative blather). And when I'm the leader, and often when I'm not, I usually take the crappy roles, out of solidarity and group harmony. So it's just crappy taking the crappy ones when I'm a leader and when I'm not a leader.

This seems unkind, perhaps, but it is the reason why advocacy committee has turned from CJ and Katie trying to involve and empower others to get out of it what they want, to me not being able to do anything that I want.

Thus, those group projects are frustrating. I struck gold with my committee in my other group project (research and proposal writing) but once again, it's frustrating because proposal has done well over 20 hours of work a piece, as opposed to the 1-2 hours that other committees have put in. Yet, when one girl backed out of her obligation to her committee and we decided to break it up into pieces, not ONE of the four friends in the easy group volunteered to take 20 minutes to do part of the work. Thus, despite waiting for their responses, four of us from the proposal committee ended up eating it. Their stony faces were not worth the suggestion.

Group work can be really rewarding. The proposal committee has been. You can achieve way more as a group working together than as individuals. More quickly, sometimes seamlessly, like an art. But sometimes the colors just do not mesh. Sometimes people just don't want to do work, and the canvas is too big. Sometimes it's not worth creating an awkward dynamic for a remaining year and a half.

On top of that, I scheduled my plane ticket to Arpi's wedding for the wrong dates. Blegh. Bad day.

No comments:

About Me

In short, this contains my travels to Jersualem, Double H, Scotland, and St. Louis, among other, completely unrelated experiences :)

Blog Archive