Before the world knew it was possible, we knew it was.
Second only to the players and their families, we have known that this could happen.
They were playing clean games with ferociousoffensive attacks.
They also had the strength of mind and character that it takes to overcome--and the impulse for fun and fraternity that is necessary to persist in extended efforts. They have the confidence to do what others say is "statistically unlikely."
So we were elated, but not surprised, when the Cards got the wild card.
We were elated, but not surprised, when they beat the Phillies.
The whole world was expecting a loss.
Momentum, that counts for something. It means that you're putting things together.
I will be elated, but not surprised, when we beat the Brewers.
I will be elated, but not surprised, if we win the World Series.
It has been fun to be part of that secret.
To watch Freese on fire, John Jay RBI like a whale eats krill, Yadi to clutch, and Craig to thrive when his magical tortoise was referenced.
It was fun to be there last night, right field, first level, in a standing room-only line literally not losing my voice only because I am trying to preserve it for fieldwork next week.
It was insane to cheer on Motte as he picked guys off. And see that he appeared to have shaved his woodsman beard (I always say that it looks like he walked out of the forest and on to the pitchers mound). A truly win-win situation! And to hug the stranger next to you.
And to be in the enclosed cement tunnel in the stadium with over 40,000 other people after the game when everyone just starts screaming. It was a torrent of sound that traveled the crowd and washed over you, that I realize I might never feel or hear again. Electric air.
Then again, I might hear it again. My superfan status is the only way that I've gotten tickets to all these games--NLDS, NLCS, and yes, the World Series. I think that we'll get there. The only day that I could get was Game 7, so that might not be played. But, if we play, and if we win--man, I can't even imagine how amazing it would be to be there.
Either way, I love our Cardinals. I love our dudes, and HOLY ASDFAJFIOJAFK A ALLEN CRAIG JUST HIT A HOMERUN! Alright man, I'm out! GO CARDINALS!
P.S. We lost, but we've still got a good shot. If we've get a win tomorrow, I believe we can pull off one more win in WI. They've got a great home record, though, so tomorrow is crucial!!
No comments:
Post a Comment