...even though I only really am posting about baseball these days. Its been a ball (pun sort of intended), but real work occurs too. In fact, I finished the last huge assignment a day early, so that I wouldn't have to work on it at all last night!
But yes, unfortunately, school does continue on at breakneck speed. It's insane how stuff just gets done and the semester ends after working furiously for the most part for months. Part of the reason why baseball suits me so well at this point in my life is I'm too tired from working to do sports while chronically just getting a few hours of sleep, but I don't believe in working every minute of every day. So I watch ballgames.
This week is coming to a close. All in all, its been very successful. Believe it or not, my grades have all been solid, and I'm learning a lot (which is how I measure school success).
Tomorrow I'll pack and activate my cell phone, and Saturday I leave for Georgia! I'll stop in Nashville around noon to see my friends Julia and Chris for a few hours, before continuing on for Fayetteville (~15 miles outside of Atlanta). Children's Healthcare of Atlanta is definitely pretty legit. I'll be doing a combination of shadowing and treatment sessions under a therapist at an outpatient clinic. She mostly works with orthopedics, hands, and feeding.
Because I'll be doing 7-5:30pm days (likely longer with reviews and questions), I get my 35-40 hour requirement fulfilled by working Monday through Thursday. Then some MORE fun will commence. As you likely know, I played on the ultimate frisbee team in Scotland. I then persuaded a friend who spent a year abroad at the same school to go out for it too. We both loved it. Well, one of our friends is doing the exchange program that my friend, Katie, did. She's spending her first year after graduation from St. Andrews at Emory University. Group get-together? I think so.
Katie and her boyfriend (and her boyfriend's brother) have all been rooting for the Cards this season (despite being in Braves territory), so we'll do some World Series watching Thursday night. There are obvious pre-fieldwork jitters present each and every time that I go out in the field, but I ultimately have confidence in my learning and preparation, and in my ability to wing a few things :) They go away once I get there and confirm that my clinical instructor (CI) does not, in fact, have eight heads and a fire-breathing mouth.
My mentor is also trying to arrange a tour for one of my besties/beloved lab partner and I to tour CHOA's Sickle Cell Clinic on Friday. It's last minute, since we only realized that we'd both be in ATL this week, but if anyone can pull strings, it's Dr. King. Annnnnnnddd...dun dun dun...this week the reticent Dr. King gave some very high praise about my proposal/writing style/personality. I try not to get too caught up in praise or insults these days, but it is reassuring that someone else believes that I'm headed on the right path.
And so that's what's going on this week! I'll post again from GA!
No comments:
Post a Comment