There was a girl that I really really loved at camp. I loved ALL of them, I laughed loads with ALL of them. You get used to seeing people that you'd describe as "special." Yet, sometimes someone still blows you away.
That was the case with this beautiful, gorgeous girl. She was gutsy, fun, and smart. And she was kind. She initiated a game of tick-tac-toe in chalk with a girl with a developmental delay, when she could have been hanging out with others. She was inclusive, well-liked, and a zillion other things. I tried to have at least one "special moment"...like really special, 1-on-1 or small group bonding...with EVERY girl that came to camp, but with her I had quite a few.
And they stuck with me.
Anyways, I knew what the typical prognosis for her dx was, and I knew it was not good. As I've looked through pictures over the past few years, I've often wondered what happened to her. I've stopped and prayed that she was still living and thriving. I don't think that I expected her to be, though.
Today, a former camper posted something, and tagged that girl in it. I cannot describe the JOY and elation I felt to click on that camper's picture and see her, now almost 3 years older than I last had her!! Looking beautiful and strong as always. A fighter with grace. Just joy. SHE'S ALIVE!!!!! SHE'S ALIVE!!! I know she's gonna make some baller impact on the world, too.
It got me thinking about easter, about Mary at the tomb, about Lazarus, about joy. What others felt. And how beautiful days in history these all are. Today is a day made for celebrating the people around us! And tomorrow, too!
No comments:
Post a Comment